29 miles southwest of Belize City, in the Belize District.
Duration: 4 hours (includes lunch)
The zoo is family friendly and handicap accessible.
The Belize Zoo, known as “the best little zoo in the world”, is located 29 miles west of Belize City on the western highway. It is home to more than 175 animals of about 48 species, all native to Belize. The Belize Zoo opened in 1983 when Sharon Matola started caring for the formerly wild animals that had been featured in a movie documentary and were now tame. The zoo is also a rehabilitation and research education center for wildlife- none of the animals have been bought or captured from the wild but rather donated by other zoos, removed from the illegal pet trade, rescued, orphaned, abandoned, or born right here in the zoo. All of the animals here are in their natural habitat, which makes the little zoo a very unique place to visit while you’re in Belize. Enjoy lunch during your visit at the delicious Harpy Café.
- Adults - $90 per person (1 to 3 people)
- Adult Groups - $75 per person (groups of 4 to 8)
- Children 3 to 12y.o. - $55 per child
- Contact us for group rates of 9 or more people
* All prices listed are U.S. Currency
Pick up locations
- Cruise guests meet for pick up at the cruise terminal
- Private tours can be picked up at agreed upon locations
Fees above include:
- Entrance fee
- Transportation to and from
- Personal guide
"Seeing the native Belizean wildlife in such an awesome habitat was fantastic. We were blown away at how quickly Jeevan spotted the exhibit animals in such thick habitat environments! Great experience and the lunch was fantastic!"
~ Spencer, Boston MA
What to bring
- Comfortable Walking Shoes
- Mosquito Repellant
- Sun hat/visor
- Water bottle or canteen (water is provided)
It's easy to get great photos of the animals, so bring your camera to this adventure and you'll be able to fool your friends into thinking you saw each one of the animals in the wild!